Terra Migaki Design Competition 2017
The company Milano Makers, jointly with Japanese companies Sochikusya Co. Ltd, GEN and the Italian social cooperative Alekoslab, presents the second edition of TERRA 匠人 DESIGN 2017 (TMD) on contemporary design made with raw earth.
The goal of the competition is the interchange with Japanese culture in the field of sustainability.
This second year is dedicated to the design of innovative objects that demonstrate skill in the field of sustainable design and in the use of natural earth materials.
The entry for the competition can belong at any category of products or object of furniture, that responds to the peculiar qualities of the clay material. The function of the object should be compatible to the natural earth material and relate to it’s specific characteristics.
The earthen material can be processed or combined with other materials. The use of raw earth material can be pre-mixed using industrial products.
Further description of the theme of the contest can be found in the attachment downloaded from the website (Attached competition TMD 2017.pdf).
Who can participate?
The competition is open to all of legal age.
Participants, if in a team, must designate a leader who will represent the organisation and would be the recipient of the prize. Each participant can submit only one project.
The Competition is not open to: jury members and their family members, Governing Council members of all promoters, persons who have working relationships with the jury members during the time of the competition.
Participants must submit their project by sending the following documents per email as per the competition terms and guidelines (see links below):
- A drawing Pdf in A2 format (420×594 mm) with an image that show the final project, construction details of the assembly system, and a brief description of the project, in English. The layout must be downloaded from the competition website (concorso download – please respect the format).
- A report explaining the function of the object, the industrial or artisanal construction method, how the competition criteria are respected (originality and innovation, relationship between the function of the object and the characteristics of earth material, green design principles), in English, of maximum five pages. It may also include images or drawings.
A Prototype can also be submitted.
During the Fuorisalone days, all projects submitted in accordance with the competition rules will be exhibited and 20 prototypes will be selected by the jury to be exhibited for free at the exhibition TMD space.
Submission and payment
For the submission please fill the form in the competition website and send an email as per the competition terms and guidelines. The entry fee is 100 €.
18 March 2017 – Registration
26 March 2017 – Submission of project documents
3 April 2017 – Submission of prototype (optional)
Twenty prototypes will be selected for the exhibition during the Fuorisalone 2017.
- Prof. Giovanni Dotelli (Politecnico di Milano)
- Arch. Gianfranco Conti (Associazione Internazionale Città della Terra Cruda)
- Arch. Luisa Bocchietto (President Elect WDO)
All projects will be awarded thanks at the free exhibition during the week of Fuori Salone at the Fabbrica del Vapore. The 20 best prototypes will be exhibited for free in the spaces of the TMD in 2017 where the participants will make contact with companies potentially interested in the production of innovative projects.
Maximum emphasis will be given to the first three selected projects, which will also receive the prizes described below:
- 1st prize: Theoretical and practical seminar on finishes in raw earth at the ecological village of Granara (All-inclusive stay) and special Japanese trowels kit.
- 2nd prize: Theoretical and practical seminar on finishes in raw earth at the ecological village of Granara (All-inclusive stay).
- 3rd prize: Kit of special Japanese trowels