16 – 30 July 2018 ~ Austria
BASEhabitat International Summer School 2018
- Start Date: 2018-07-16
- End Date: 2018-07-30
- BASEhabitat promotes earth and bamboo as excellent materials for sustainable architecture. Earthen and bamboo architecture not only has a long tradition in the building of…
BASEhabitat promotes earth and bamboo as excellent materials for sustainable architecture.
Earthen and bamboo architecture not only has a long tradition in the building of human settlements but also offers many advantages for contemporary architecture. BASEhabitat aims to foster the consideration of socio-cultural, economical and ecological aspects in architectural design and construction. Our intention is to establish a global network and promote the exchange of knowledge and experiences in the fields of earthen and bamboo architecture.
Who can participate?
BASEhabitat is for students, practitioners and lecturers from all over the world who are interested in building with earth and bamboo. Different disciplines, craftsmen/women, engineers, people in education, … all are welcome!
The Summer School 2018 will take place in Austria from 16 – 30 July 2018.
» Factsheet (PDF)
The focus lies on practical work. Participants can choose 2 workshops on different construction techniques. Each lasts 4-5 days.
Tutors will work on different designs with you. Some of them are temporary experiments, some may remain on site.
- ADOBE amàco (F) Gian Franco Noriega, Zoé Tric
- RAMMED EARTH Dominik Abbrederis (A) Tobias Fritz (A) guest: Martin Rauch
- EARTH | FIBRE | SURFACE (to be announced)
- BAMBOO Jörg Stamm (D/CO)
We start the summer school with an intensive day on material science.
Earth – amàco: Gian Franco Noriega, Zoé Tric
Bamboo – Jörg Stamm
Theory classes provide detailed information, present different insights and offer an opportunity for discussing the challenges of sustainable architecture.
In the evenings we hand the stage over to the participants, as an opportunity to present their projects, for informal discussion and for networking.
There will be a field trip to Stübing Open Air Museum, where more than 80 historical buildings from all over Austria have been collected. Those who prefer to have a day off can use this day for their own purposes.
The BASEhabitat Summer School takes place in the ABZ (AgrarBildungsZentrum) Salzkammergut, located at a marvellous position on the shores of Lake Traunsee. The building itself is very special: it is an old boarding school which has been converted and modernised using untreated wood from the region as its main material. The floors, walls, stairs, ceilings and furniture are made of wood and the rooms are bright and open onto the lake and mountain range behind.
Online applications open on 10 February 2018 and close on 2 April:
- Fill in the online form on our website
- Present yourself with a short portfolio and a letter of motivation
- BASEhabitat selects the participants
- On payment of the participation fee your attendance is confirmed
The fee for the complete summer school is 1650 € and includes:
- accommodation (4-bed room with bath) and food (full board) in the AgrarBildungsZentrum
- all materials you need for the workshops
- digital documentation of the whole summer school
- field trip to Stübing/Austria
On completion, participants will receive
- an official document in the name of the UNESCO CHAIR OF EARTHEN ARCHITECTURE
- a course certificate (4 ECTS) from BASEhabitat, University of Art and Design Linz
It is possible to apply for a scholarship if a need can be demonstrated. We will require a justified explanation of why you need financial aid.
Online applications open on 10 February 2018 and close on 2 April. We will inform participants of their selection by the end of April.